Friday, October 3, 2014

No More Excuses - by Vidya Ramaswamy







It’s that time of the year in Oman, when we can no longer hide behind our favourite excuse to avoid being outdoors. “But it’s too hot outside! Inshallah next month.” Well you better believe it, that month is here. It’s October, folks and soon the land of sun and sand will pretty much become the land of just sand (well not quite, but you know what I mean).



I’m sure that we have spent enough time in the air-conditioned shopping malls, the air-conditioned cinemas, the air-conditioned homes, the air-conditioned offices, not to mention the air-conditioned cars that take us to and fro. Our bodies must be starved for some much-needed fresh air, and there’s no better time to get loads of it.

“But everything is so far away!” What’s that? Is that another excuse I hear? When’s the last time you took a stroll down the Muscat Corniche? How about just lying down on the grassy areas along Shatti beach? Speaking of beaches, we are lucky to be surrounded by such clean, wonderful beaches. I don’t know about you, but I love the feeling of cold sand under my feet. It’s almost sort of therapeutic.

Of course, for the more adventurous, there are plenty of wadis and canyons and villages that need exploring. Sometimes, you don’t really even need a destination to get to. Find a nice secluded spot in the middle of the mountains, and camp there for a night. Tell me that watching shooting stars zoom by in the clear night sky doesn’t make you feel like a 5 year old again. However, when you’re leaving city limits, please only venture out in groups. It’s just safer that way.

“But all my friends are lazy. Where do I find people to get out of town with?” Aha! Nice try, you almost got me there. Guess what? You’re at the right place. All you need to do is…


… and watch the responses flow in!


Vidya is a member of the community Writing Team for Muscat - Where Can I Find.  Her email address vids249@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment