Friday, October 31, 2014

Honorary Omani.. by Vidya Ramaswamy



As I write this, I'm in my country, India for the Eid holidays. Yes, some of us have to work on vacation. The radio is on (hey, women can multitask!) and they're saying something about Oman. I'm deep in thought trying to come up with the contents for this article.

Wait a minute! I'm in India. Why are they talking about Oman on the radio?!?

I immediately tune into what's going on. The caller is telling the RJ about her recent vacation to Oman. She’s gushing about how Oman is a gorgeous country, and how her family enjoyed shopping and scuba diving and exploring the natural beauty of the country. In a matter of minutes, I felt my heart inexplicably swell with pride.

Such is the effect of Oman on me. To Oman, I am merely a foreigner, an "expat". But to me, Oman is home. I've spent a quarter of a century growing up in a country that is not mine, and yet I've never felt like an outsider. When anyone asks me where I'm from, my kneejerk reaction is to say Oman! And then I wait eagerly, hoping that I'll be asked - "Oman?"

Jackpot.

Yes! Oman. It's in the Middle East. Next to Dubai. No, not Amman! That's in Jordan. It's Oman. The Sultanate of Oman. Yup, there's a King. A Sultan. His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said. He's awesome! Yeah, it's a Muslim country. No, I'm not Muslim. So what? Do you know there's a roundabout in Darsait where there's a temple, a church and a mosque within walking distance of each other? How freaking cool is that?! (Speaking of roundabouts, does anyone else miss them or is it just me? I know driving around them was a pain but they always looked so pretty! But I digress.)

Long story short, one of my favourite pastimes is to introduce Oman to new people. I don't know why but I'm always thrilled to do so.

That's why it hurts me when some of the expats here complain about Oman. I admit I've done it too. Boo Omanization. Boo lack of public transport. Boo the heat. But then why are we here? Perhaps the amazingly clean roads, the hospitality of the locals or the comfortable, laidback lifestyle?

JFK very famously said "ask not what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for the country".

So this National Day, I would like all expats to focus on why you choose to be here. Even if your sole reason is that magical 25 bz packet of Pofak. (25 bz!! Incredible, right? Sometimes that’s how I make purchasing decisions - if the item(s) in question is worth losing out on all that Pofak! Please don’t judge.) But whatever your reason, take this opportunity to celebrate Oman and embrace it.

And I would like all Omanis to kindly give us the status of being Honorary Omanis while we spend some part of our lives in your beautiful country. We love Oman and we are grateful to you for sharing your home with us.

As for me, I can't wait to head back to Oman. When I step off the airplane at Seeb Airport and feel the thick hot air hit my face, that's when I know .. I'm home.

- Written by Vidya Ramaswamy (an Indian by birth, an Honorary Omani by heart)


(Vidya is a member of the Community Writing Team for 'Muscat-Where Can I Find' - Oman's BEST Community information hub. Using the Community to help you find what you are looking for in Muscat.)

1 comment:

  1. I give you the status of being a honorary Omani! ;)

    Your words touched me! :)
    Thank you for loving oman this much! <3

    ReplyDelete