Friday, October 31, 2014

My 10 memories of being an 8 year old in Muscat. by Nicholla Henderson Hall


Some of you may or may not know but I lived in Oman as a child briefly in the early 80’s.  My memories are more of short photograph memories but I still hold on to them and when I sit with the family and we reminisce about growing up we are reminded of our short 2 year stay in Muscat.  Here are some of those memories.





1. Being dragged to the Muttrah souk by my parents to buy material, or get something fixed.  As a kid I hated it.  Walking those tight alley ways, all the smells, the noise etc but as an adult I’ve embraced all of that and wish I could have told my 8 year self to suck it up and enjoy it.  I walked the corniche as a child with an ice cream my parents were probably having those conversations we have today where we are admiring the buildings and imaging the stories they could tell.  If only!

2. Going shopping at what is now CCC centre to Al Fair supermarket – in those days it was all sand parking and bumpy. My video shop was also there called ‘voice and view’ - BEST copy video EVER! Today its a buzzing spot on the weekend of eateries but when I got there I do close my eyes and remember.

3. The Corniche Fish market. Gosh I loved the Corniche fish market.  Dad used to take us early in the morning to get king fish and prawns to go the barbecue that afternoon.  While I lived in Oman as an adult I loved visiting the one at Seeb. I would stand and watch the bartering on the large marlins or watch the guys discuss the catch of the day. 'Andak' fish was my favourite buy; such a great fish for a fish curry.  If you haven’t tried that fish, I’d recommend it. Its  a large red grouper fish.  It’s really meaty with great texture.

4. Princess Restaurant in Al Khuwair.  We had a take away from there every Friday.  It was the best food ever and time always went soooo slowly on Friday only because I wanted to get take away.

5. The Airport seemed so far away and yet today its only up the road. Weird how your mind remember things.

6. The donuts from the bakery at the Intercontinental Hotel.  Every Thursday Dad would go and get the donut box.  My love of donuts lived and died in Oman.  I don’t like donuts anymore but every time I see a donuts I think of Oman.

7. I remember the obsessive car cleaning syndrome my parents had.  My parents were never ones to be getting fines and so they became Obsessive Car Cleaners. I’m sure we had the most polished cars on the street.  

8. The Saab showroom what is now where Ferrari is today on the road up to Madinat Qaboos. I fell in love with those cars and vowed I’d own one when I grew up.  I never have done as it happens but that was my car choice and probably where my car obsession also started.

9. Oh the funniest memory was doing Guy folks night at The British School – MQ.  (When I was there it was Muscat English Speaking School) Down on the sports pitch we created a massive bonfire where the whole school turned up to watch.  BUT sadly it didn't last, the fire brigade came along and promptly put it out.  The Headmaster at the time Mr. Jones wasn't best pleased and his paperwork didn't count for anything.  Wonder what Mr. Jones would say about that now? It’s a funny memory.

10. The Express way which when I was there was a dangerous curvy road to take particularly at night because there was no lights.  Thankfully they improved that road and made things better.


So those are my short memories.  There are many more but I wanted to just share 10 of mine and see if any of you can relate to any of these.  Do you have childhood memories of Oman?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely memories! <3
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lujaina. I have more but wanted to just keep it to 10 :)

      Delete