Friday, November 28, 2014

MWCIF – A year of reflection – looking back over 2014.... By Rebecca Mayston


Oman truly is the hidden gem of Arabia, it has something for everyone.  I know for many it has been perhaps a little too easy to fall in love with it all, the people, the landscape, the adventure and the food.  I have been blessed to enjoy an incredible six years in Oman.  After only coming to visit initially, I feel truly speechless when I stop and think back of all that I have experienced, which is to say the least, more than I ever imagined possible.  I have not just made friends but joined a family of adventure seeking, off-road, nature loving people and adopted into the Omani society. 
My work is my love and my passion, and it is so rewarding to be able to share some of the unique beauties and experiences with everyone.  2014 has been a full year for me, many adventure across Oman, from Musandam all the way south to Salalah, with Omanis, expats and tourists from over 50+ countries.  I have enjoyed weddings, and Eid meals in the villages.  I get surrounded by Bedouin children whom know me by name, and every weekend remember the convoy of jeeps that visit their auto garage.  I receive endless smiles and friendly waves, and am proud to have brought many smiles to faces through sharing Oman with them.  What I love most is that even after seeing and experiencing so much I continue to discover new things.
It is the above reasons that has actually made me step back over the last few weeks and really reflect on my time in Oman, and especially the last year… that’s also what makes it so hard to narrow down some of my top experiences. 

It has been an interesting few weeks as I have stepped back and really reflected on my time in Oman, and especially over the last 12 months.  It is so hard to narrow down some of the top experiences, but it has also been an incredible journey to step back through those memories and cherish them again, and again.  Here are 4 incredible memories of my 2014.

Top Camp Site Location:  Bar al Hikmann

Bar Al Hickman
Crystal blue water laps at the shore creating the only sound track for the weekend… How can one not sit back and loose themselves in complete relaxation (not something I am admittedly good at), with the silence, and the soft silky sands to dig your toes into, and nothing for kilometres and kilometres it was truly a slice of heaven.  It’s not an easy place to venue if you don’t know the tracks as you hear the numerous horror stories of people getting stuck and stranded in the soft sludgy salt flat (and exactly as the sign warns you about), but should you find yourselves adventurous and with friends who know the way, I couldn’t recommend it higher.  We enjoyed it after a weekend in the desert which made it even more special and an extended weekend away from Muscat.  I’d recommend allowing at least 2 or 3 nights here… especially if you are driving from Muscat specifically.


Top WOW-factor journey:  Seeing Musandam by water

Musandam
Needless to say I spend majority of my time, knee deep in sand encouraging groups of 4x4 through the desert sands, which made me a little bit of a fish out of water for this journey, which literally had me speechless.  I spent unforgettable 3 nights in sheer luxury on board MY Ibra, with the wonderful team from Ocean Blue Oman.  We motored from Shinas up into the Musandam peninsula, where the coastline changed from long stretched beaches of the Battinah plains to sheer towering cliffs that shot sky high (and to incredible depths below).  There is something so mesmerising about the ocean, a calming of the wide open surrounds, and being able to pull into a bay and drop anchor for the day… WOW!

Top Cultural Interaction:  Omani women at Bait al Saffah

Al Hamra Musbrick Village
This delightful working Omani Museum set in the heart of the fortified mud brick village of al Hamra, has been a long-time favourite of mine.  It is a rare location where one can experience a local taste of female interaction and life in the Omani home.  What I love most is that the ladies are doing what they normally do… singing, laughter and chatter resonate throughout the museum as the ladies grind wheat, roast coffee beans and brew traditional Omani Coffee.  It won’t be long before they have guests joined in and working hard.  I adore that the situation where language doesn’t create barriers, when using smiles, laughter and miming can be used to create such beautiful lasting memories.  When you do visit, don’t forget to stop for a moment and appreciate the conveniences we have in modern life.

Top Taste Experience: Eid with friends, enjoying Omani Shuwa
                               
Eid Shuwa Platter
Eid is a special time for families in this part of the world, where importance is placed on joining together as a community and sharing a meal surrounded by friends and family.  I was delighted to be invited to Khaboora by Sheik Ghalib, to enjoy Eid Lunch again this year.  The warmth and hospitality amongst the village is heartening, the little boys giggle at a lady being present, and the young girls (who have joined their father for the main lunch) grin from ear to ear in their beautiful Eid dresses.  Omani Shuwa is a delicacy especially served at Eid and at weddings.  Fresh meat is marinated in family created sauces for over 24hours, before it is wrapped and buried in pits, with fire hot stones and covered over for 24-48 hours (very similar to the New Zealand Hungi).  Omani culture isn’t about individual plates, the entire community (separated of course) joins together in one room sitting around large patters of food, the best choices piled high on the largest platter for the head table which I am prominently sat at.  Tender succulent meat melts in your mouth, the soft fragrant flavours are delicious… it is hard not to over eat, (one does warn you to not eat prior to attending an Eid Lunch), not only through the delicious flavours but also the delightfully generous hospitality of the Omani people which keeps your plate stocked high with the tastiest morsels.  Cherished community memories for me. 


Tough life on Board my Ibra

Bait Al Saffah.  Laughing & Dancing while making Rheikal (Omani Bread)




3 comments: