Friday, November 28, 2014

2014, How art thou? - by Vidya Ramaswamy




Oh 2014! It's been a bit of a roller-coaster ride, hasn't it? Let's walk down memory lane for a bit. You started the year by giving me heartbreak. And to be really honest with you, that wasn't very nice of you. If I was Santa Claus, you'd go on my naughty list. I surely hope you were nicer to others. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that the heartbreak messed up a good part of the year.



But then, I find out about Ebola and the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, and the unrest in Ukraine and Iraq and Gaza and Syria, and suddenly, my crap didn't feel so bad in comparison. Just when I was getting caught up in petty matters, you showed me some perspective.


Note to self: It is NEVER as bad as it seems.


To be fair to you, 2014, you haven't been all that bad. You let me travel to rejuvenate myself, and I was so excited when you offered me the opportunity to come back to my first home, Oman.


You gave the world a frenzied and eventful World Cup in Brazil, though I was mad at you for kicking out every team that I supported. Fine, maybe Spain didn't deserve to go through, and you should have most definitely shown a little delicacy in how you kicked out the home country. But why couldn't you have finally given Messi a break and put an end to his World Cup woes?


Is that why you tried to make amends and let us land a spacecraft on a comet? Actually, I need another moment to digest that. I mean, I've got to give you props, 2014. How seriously cool is that?!? You make me feel lucky to be alive at a time like this. I don't think a lot of us truly value the lives that we have. Just last week, you confirmed that Robin Williams committed suicide. Funny man, Robin Williams. Depressed. That was a real shocker.


Note to self: NO amount of fame or money can bring you happiness or sanity.


It's almost the end of the year, and I'm sure everyone has a story to share. You dealt Oman a severe blow with news of the ill health of their beloved leader, but somehow you also gave the people an immense amount of courage. I haven't seen this kind of love towards the ruler of any other country, and once again, I am glad to have witnessed something inspiring.


Well, 2014, while I didn't like you all that much in the beginning, I've warmed up to you. You brought an amazing friend into my life who helped me get out of the dumps, and recently, you've given me a new crush to distract myself with. Perhaps this is why you drew me back to Oman? Good move, 2014! So, how about this? We'll call it even. You redeemed yourself.


And now, the time has come for you to leave. Farewell, 2014. You may be gone, but you've made your mark. You won't be forgotten...

Note to self: I just conversed with a year. I NEED to get out more.

1 comment: